Friday, June 5, 2015

Oh MATH!

Image source: The Nigerian Times
I just came across a small article covering the fact that a Nigerian Student solved a 30 year old math equation and broke an Academic Record at a Japanese University.

This was not reported on in the mainstream media and I think it's a worthy piece of news, as this young man is clearly a sharp tac!

The students name is Ufot Ekong and he has just become the first Nigerian to earn a “First Class Degree” and become the best overall student at Tokai University in Tokyo, Japan since 1965!

He broke the record for the highest graduating GPA, the last time anyone graduated with a grade point average similar to Ufot Ekong was over 50 years ago. Ufot solved said 30 year old outstanding mathematical equation in his first semester! He has also won six academic awards from the school.

Ufot put himself through school by working two jobs and is truly an inspiration to those out there who aren't sure if they can go to uni and finish a degree.. If Ufot can, you can!

Ufot speaks English, Yoruba, French and Japanese!  I want to say a massive well done and congratulations on all your hard work. Ufot, you are an amazing young man.


Part II:
This brings me to another point. I am now right around the corner from being 24. When I finished high school I had no idea what I wanted to do but was always good at talking. I came across Public Relations and thought, "that sounds alright" and was influenced by The Hills and The City. I never sat my end of high school exams because I was ashamed of my academic skills and didn't want to have a bad score permanently on my record.

After school I furthered my education the best way I could. I went to TAFE (where I went is now known as The Central Institute of Technology Perth). I completed a Cert IV and a Diploma in Public Relations only to have my lecturer tell me he didn't think I was read for the working world and that I would benefit from going to uni. So I did.

While I was at uni, struggling some days and wanting to give up and just work somewhere, anywhere but I didn't. I was proud that I had made it into uni and was pursuing something that I know meant a lot to my dad (he was a Mining Engineer and had completed his Masters in something) and to my mum, who never got the opportunity to go to uni.

It pains me to hear young people giving up on their degrees. "I have a year left but it's not what I want to do, I'm going to do something else" I want to SLAP these people silly!!! Finish it and go onto something else!! We are blessed in Australia to be offered HECS/HELP to get through uni and only start paying the government back when we earn over a certain threshold. Ufot Ekong had to work two.. YES TWO jobs to put himself through university and he never gave up.

I want young people to never give up, you entered into something because you felt a connection to it. Finish it and move onto something else and continue bettering yourself.

Pardon my rant but it had to happen...

#Education

No comments:

Post a Comment